Plain and simple laughter is a powerful medicine, laughter is one of the best ways to combat stress. Let’s look at some common statistics of stress.
- 70 to 80% of all trips to the doctor are stress related.
- People who experience sustained, increased levels of stress are 4 to 5 times more likely to suffer a fatal heart attack or stroke.
- 50% of all illnesses are caused by stress.
- Stress lowers our immune systems by lowering salivary immunoglobin A, a very important combatant to bacteria and virus.
Now lets look at some interesting facts about laughter.
- Raises salivary immunoglobin A.
- Keeps Cortisol levels under control. Cortisol is a hormone produced as a result of stress. It increases blood sugar, depresses your immune system, and promotes fat storage.
- Decreases pain
- Prevents heart disease by helping to control the adrenal glands in their regulation of adrenaline.
- Children laugh on average 300 times per day, adults on average 50 times per day.
- Laughing 100 times is equal to 15 minutes on a stationary bike.
- Laughter abolishes feeling of despair, anger, and anxiety. You can not feel these things when you are laughing.
- Laughter does wonders for energy levels.
- Laughter is infectious, this is why most sitcom television shows have canned laughter.
- Promotes bonding, and strengthens relationships
- Laughing releases endorphins, (one of the hormones responsible for a feeling of happiness)
- Laughing can relax your bodies muscles for up to 45 minutes.
The benefits of laughing are clear and profound so lighten up and look for the humor in life, it is all around you. Surround yourself with light hearten people, laugh at yourself more often, and create more opportunities to laugh like going to a comedy club, playing with pets, or just doing something silly with loved ones. Work at bringing laughter into your life and I’m sure you will succeed and reap all of the wonderful benefits.